Savor the New Year

I don't make New Year's resolutions. It feels like every time I've tried, I end up feeling disappointed and beating myself up if I don't stick to them. Life is hard enough! I haven't made resolutions for several years now, and that's OK!
That doesn't mean I live my life without goals, however. But my goals are not limited to a calendar year, nor are they unattainable. They are meant to keep me mindful.

I want to savor the new year.
SAVOR
Take time to enjoy. To process things. To be aware.

That's not the same as BALANCE. Balance can be a frustrating goal because sometimes life's just too unpredictable. 
And busy! For myself that includes teaching, taking courses, creating curriculum, blogging, presenting, doing household chores, going to meetings, church, being a wife and a mom of 3, driving the kids all over the place... There are meals I never taste, shows I never watch, conversations I hear part of, books I skim through. The year flew by, and it's been a whirlwind.
But it IS possible to slow down a little bit. Go outside and take a deep breath of fresh air. Enjoy a song on the radio. Eat slowly so you can actually taste the food. Smell the flowers in your backyard. Turn your face up to the sun and feel its warmth. Listen to your child's whole story, with full attention. Enjoy a bird's song. 
Savor things.
Take some time, every now and then, to savor the experiences of the new year!

No comments

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.